25 July 2018

A Place to Live (3)


I had lived in the same apartment for 4 years now after my university days ended. And through this house, I have known 7 ex-housemates, and countless prospective tenants who came to visit the house before deciding it was not a fit for them.

This new housemate of mine started living here from March 2018, right after I did some renovation and repairing in the middle room. To start off, I installed a lamp. I only got to know the room didn’t have any lighting source apart from the window after the previous tenant left. I also had to rewire the cables and plug point since the wall adjacent to the bathroom has water damage from leaked pipe in it, soaking all the wiring inside; rendering it too dangerous to use. 

I had to service the air conditioner since it was left in bad condition; the refrigerant has all dried, and the machine won’t function after the filter was cluttered with dusts – it even caused power trips because the dusts covering the filter causes the fan to use a lot of energy to pass air through the blockage. 

Irfan was the name of my new housemate. Right off the bat, he told me he was a clean freak. He wanted to move from his previous house because he couldn’t stand the sorry state of the cleanliness, apart from his smoking housemates. Whew, that was a red flag because to be honest, I’m not particularly an orderly person. But since he decided my house was orderly enough for him to move in, I guess I’m good.

Irfan was a person who was almost always bitter, which I had grown to know from his WhatsApp statuses. Some of them, though not directed at me, was quite offensive. He was angry at most things that he came across – like an unaccommodating bus driver who won’t switch off the lights when he wanted to sleep warrants a full paragraph of story on his status.

His job particularly seems like a major thing that irritates him on a daily basis. Irfan and I shared a few similarities that surprised me. We graduated with a degree in Environmental Science, he was now waiting for his viva voce for his Master’s degree. Well that does resonate with me on some level. Having two unrelated people with the same qualifications in the same house is like hitting a jackpot, the probability is insanely small.

He is now working for a well respected environmental consultant in Serdang, which was a popular employer for my peers. Some of my friends still work with the company, which means we do have mutual friends. 

It’s strange to learn lots of things about a person from his social media, especially when you live under the same roof. That is how I learnt lots of, no – most things about him. About him having bleeding nose every other day, his endless pile of works that he had to stay late at the office all the time, his desire to quit his job, and finally when he couldn’t take it anymore, his tendering resignation. 

He sent a message to me last night, telling me that he had finally quit his job. I wasn’t shocked at all because I read about it all on his statuses *sniggers*. But later, he revealed to me that his doctor diagnosed him with minor depression. You see, I did know he had depression before, but I didn’t know he is still suffering from one. 

He was planning to stay at his parents’ place starting from September. I know this must sound absurd, but after he (sort of) came out to me as having depression, I didn’t know the right response to say. “I’m so sorry. My condolences”? “It’s okay. I know it will pass”? I just realized that I never encountered this situation before, so I had a total black out. I knew depression was real and that lots of adults suffer from it, but I never thought that that adult would live in the room next door. Let alone confiding in me about it. 

For fear of saying things that I didn’t mean or giving him the wrong signals, I didn’t answer his messages until earlier this morning. 

Perhaps after all, the reason he was easily triggered by small inconveniences was a symptom to a bigger problem ie his depression. It did put things to perspective, at least for me. 

To Irfan, I’m not sure if you’ll read this (but some of my followers know you, so yeah, perhaps you’ll come across this later), I just want to tell you that I hope you’re going to be okay and I hope you’ll graduate soon. I’m so sorry that you’re having depression, and so sorry for everything that I did that might have inconvenient you. Good luck for your future endeavor. XOXO 

-          Bad, your disorderly housemate

No comments:
Write curses

Hey, we've just launched a new custom color Blogger template. You'll like it - https://t.co/quGl87I2PZ
Join Our Newsletter